Pages

Monday, January 1, 2024

Legal Tips for the New Year

 "Legal Tips for the New Year" by Jonathan Chochor, JD, does contain helpful legal tips for caregivers, but more than that, the article tells a few ways you can be a more effective medical advocate.

Researching a physician's professional background for disciplinary actions is a tip I don't often see. A more common tip, keeping a log of symptoms, diagnoses, and medications is extremely important. Take the log to doctor visits.

I wish I had bought a notebook to dedicate for this purpose. Instead, I used note papers, which, I can testify, get lost easily. I might add that as medications add up, you'd be wise to jot each drug's possible side effects in your notebook and inquire of the doctor if you note new symptoms you suspect might be side effects. In my experience, doctors were pretty good at monitoring this themselves, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Ultimately, you need to make the best decision for your loved one, and that means understanding risks and benefits of the drugs.

To read Chochor's article in Caregiver.com, click on "Legal Tips for the New Year."

No comments:

Post a Comment