Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Just admit it ~ You're a caregiver!

So many articles encourage caregivers to take care of themselves in the midst of caring for a loved one. So many people these days are tending to a less capable person's needs. Great advice for just about any obstacle they encounter is readily available, especially with resources like Caregiver.com, a website that is searchable by subject.

BUT, what I encounter most when I suggest Caregiver.com to friends is, "Oh, I'm not a caregiver." Is a common perception that you're not a caregiver unless ... unless what? You've moved a parent or older sibling into your home? My friends drive their loved one everywhere, get calls to come over when the person can't get out of bed, manage all prescriptions, make and take meals, research and purchase practical needs like special cushions or lift-chair recliners, follow the ambulance and curl up on a hard plastic chair in the ICU to try to get some shuteye. And my friends carry these responsibilities week in and week out for years.

My friends recognize their own burnout. How can they think they don't need caregiver resources or any respite for themselves? To them, I say, "Just admit it ~ You're a caregiver!" Please!

I like to post Caregiver.com articles in this blog, and I will today, too. An article by Barbara Hanson Dennis has some great, positive suggestions. You can read "Surviving Caregiving with Dignity, Love, and Kindness" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment